St Paul’s Chapel

The Chapel is an important focal point in the spiritual life at St Paul's.  It is a place for the regular celebration of class Masses; weekly gathering of staff for prayer and a place of quiet reflection.  There is also a contemplation area in the garden surrounding the Chapel. 

The Chapel building itself is very significant in the history of the Catholic Church and Education in Mildura.

In response to a search by St Paul's for a building, St Joseph's College offered the building known as their Religious Education Centre which in fact was the original Catholic Church here in Mildura.  The Church was first located in Pine Avenue and was formerly opened 7th June 1896, by Rev. Father Barry of Ballarat with the original cost being Three Hundred Pounds.  In January 1906 the Sisters of Mercy opened a primary school conducted daily in this building until 1914 when a school building was then erected in Walnut Avenue. 

In 1920 a new brick church was built, and the old church was given to the Sisters by Bishop Foley of Ballarat.  In 1922 it was re-sited on the block facing Twelfth Street and was used for a variety of purposes including art, typing and woodwork.  In 1979, it was again relocated in St Joseph's College grounds and reconditioned for use as an art/craft centre.

(Extract from Ralee Schultz Notes, History of Sacred Heart Church, Mildura)

This weather-board building has been moved many times and we are extremely pleased to be now entrusted with this historic building that takes pride of place as St Paul's Chapel in our garden area known as "Mac's Patch" (so named after Monsignor MacKenzie).  The "Mimovich" stained glass windows of St Paul and Our Lady were completed in 2008 thanks to the generosity of the school community.